Thursday, March 28, 2013

Just Fine at the DMV

I don't think I've ever read anyone's account of going to the DMV where they didn't complain.  I've certainly had my share of annoying experiences there, usually downtown where the lines are out of control and everyone is grouchy.  But today I had to get a new license, having just noticed that mine expired recently on my birthday, and was impressed at how pleasant all the employees were and how efficient the whole operation was.

The line was long, but moved at a reasonable pace.  The employees at the desk were cheerful and knew what they were doing.  It can't be fun having to serve people who would rather be somewhere else, but everyone seemed to have a sense of humor and nobody acted as if they disliked their jobs.


I filled out a form, waited a little, had my photo taken, waited a little more, and eventually paid my $39 and got a temporary printout to use until my new license arrives in the mail.  I had the option of getting a new and improved "Real I.D." for the same price except I didn't have a birth certificate and additional proof of address with me.  The new "Real I.D." looks just like the regular driver's license except it apparently has a star on it.  I asked what you get for that star, and they told me I could use it to get into federal buildings and to check in at airports.  I can't imagine the starless driver's license wouldn't work for those things just fine, so I don't feel I'm missing out.  It's like the I.D. version of the Sneeches on the Beaches, where some have stars on thars but it doesn't, in the end, mean anything.

In any case, the whole thing took maybe half an hour, I had time to finish a Sudoku puzzle, I got a little refresher course in Spanish listening to the announcements happening in two languages each time, and really, there was nothing to complain about.  I came away feeling pleased to have my errand done and glad my local DMV runs so well.  Thought it deserved a brief mention.

(Of course, I also like the U.S. postal service, I've only had good experiences with cops, and I even don't mind the teenagers who skateboard in our intersection, so my threshold for what is annoying may be skewed compared to other people.  Eh, I like my life and give others the benefit of the doubt that their intentions are good most of the time, so I'm not going to apologize even if I'm out of step with the norm.)

8 comments:

  1. Folks rarely speak of good incidents or happy moments because they are what are expected. It's the crappy/stressful moments that come pouring forth because they are outside the norm or what was expected.

    It's a real shame that more people don't take the time to write what you've written and say, "Hey, it was a pretty good day in spite of the crazy long lines, etc."

    I view the world through my happy Pollyanna lenses and typically give people the benefit of the doubt. Nobody is out there saying, "I'm going to give Rachael a really bad time of it today!" All of us are simply trying to get by.

    Lovely post, Korinthia. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Folks rarely speak of good incidents or happy moments because they are what are expected. It's the crappy/stressful moments that come pouring forth because they are outside the norm or what was expected."

    Agreed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should send a link to their supervisor. They probably don't many kudos, even if they're doing a good job.
    -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's face it - bad things happening just make for better stories. My best posts are from when I haven't slept in 3 nights and my kids are barfing all over the place. Remember Tolstoy? "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." Same deal with everyday life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always agree that "That which does not kill me makes a great story later," but man, that Tolstoy quote rubs me the wrong way:

      http://www.babble.com/cs/holding-down-the-fort/2010/01/31/my-least-favorite-quote/

      Delete
  5. I truly believe we are in charge of whether we have a bad day or horrible customer service encounter. Sure, the person servicing us (I should really reword that, huh?) could be a terrible service supplier, but it doesn't mean we have to accept it, feed into it, argue back when the person is snippy or rude. It's hard sometimes, I know, but I think I'm finally at the point where another person's attitude won't (always) affect mine. That said, I'm glad you had a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! Kind of reminds me of how when we stayed with friends in Paris, and told them how many people prepared us for the French to be rude but that everyone had been lovely. They said, "Well of course you were treated well. You're polite!" Often we just get reflections of what we put out there.

      Delete
  6. When I come across a rude or grumpy person, I figure they are having a bad day, could be under the weather, have a sick kid or a death in family, financial problems, a broken heart or any number of things. So I try to treat everyone with kindness, it costs nothing and might just make the day a bit better. btw we have best dmv in our town. and I did fill out the comment card to tell them so.

    ReplyDelete