Saturday, May 1, 2010

It's Back! (Babble)

The internet is back!  I missed it soooooooo much.  Three weeks is too long without it, but it’s finally made the apparently arduous trip across the street to my new house.

Want to know what I was forced to do while it was gone?

I had to use the yellow pages.  The yellow pages!   I felt like I should be consulting them like palimpsests by candlelight.

It’s amazing how many times you can think to yourself, “Oh, I’ll just Google that….” and then be left with nothing.  When is that thing at school happening?  How do I get to your friend’s party?  Do they sell awnings anywhere nearby?  What time does the self-help trash station open?  What’s next in my Netflix queue?  Does our zoo have kangaroos?  What else has that actor been in?  Can I plant things on top of my tulips once they’re done?  And on and on and on.


And these are just my own questions.  My kids have endless questions about everything, and it’s so much more satisfying for me to be able to answer something like, “What is concrete made out of?” or “What do ostriches eat?” with an actual answer than to be left with, “I don’t know,” or “That’s one for your dad when he gets back from Iraq.”

And now the yellow pages can go back to being a doorstop.  Thank Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment