Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Quinn the Iguana

I've got it relatively easy this year for Halloween costumes.  Partially because I've got the process down by now, and mostly because of my daughters' choices.  Aden wants to recycle an older costume, and Mona wants to make most of hers herself.  The only costume I was making myself from scratch was Quinn's.  Quinn asked to be an iguana.

Last year everyone wanted wings.  This year it's all about tails.  Iguanas have nice, long tails.

Quinn picked out some green fleece, I made my standard jumpsuit, got some lighter fleece for the front and the frill, and spent an evening watching Netflix while stitching on the grey spiky bits along the spine.  Quinn helped me stuff the tail and then I took it to work to paint.


I wanted to try painting the stripes on instead of sewing them like I did with Mona's raccoon tail.  I blocked off the sections I wanted to stay green with tape and sprayed the rest with two kinds of black fabric paint, rotating it every few hours and doing a new side.  It was more labor intensive than I expected, so I don't know if paint was worth it.  Quinn did enjoy helping remove all the tape, though!

And here is the finished costume!


Quinn seems very happy with it.  We haven't found the right gloves to go with it yet, but we have some mittens that will work.  In the meantime the poor boy has been home sick for several days, but at least once he's up and around for Trick-or-Treat I know his new costume will keep him warm.

And I'm ahead of schedule!  The iguana costume only took me about two days, so that leaves me lots of time to teach Mona how to sew.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't think it was possible but that's my favorite one yet! We love a good reptile costume around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! What a great looking iguana! :)
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete