Tuesday, April 1, 2014

No Foolin'

We could always count on my dad to try and trick us every April Fool's Day.  The version in our house growing up was extremely mild and always involved his telling us at some point that there was "a pig in the sink" and/or "a duck on your head."  He'd usually get us with some story about having the car repainted or something along those lines.  We didn't do pranks, and there were never lies designed to upset anyone.  (Unless briefly thinking you had a duck on your head was upsetting.)

My children, however, are sensitive and literal.  They don't like teasing.  They don't approve of lies.  They don't like pranks.  I did get Quinn to run down to check if there was a pig in the sink this morning before he figured out what day it is.  And I tried to convince the girls that the balloon/tissue/glue/paint project that has taken over our kitchen table was chewed up by dog after they went to bed, but Mona didn't buy it.  (Despite the dog looking appropriately guilty, but he's always guilty of something.)  Mona reasoned: Why would the dog suddenly want to chew on that?  It's been out for a couple days!  Are you fooling me, mom?  (I told her yes, but there really was a duck on her head.)

Today I sent out an email to a few people telling them there was a mix up at the groomer and now Chipper looks like a mini-panda, but at least we didn't have to pay for the dye job.  I've fooled two people that I know of with that this morning, but not my brother who knows to be wary today.  The most successful April Fool's joke I ever played was when Quinn was a baby and I told everyone that he said his first word but it was a swear word and I didn't know what to do about it.  Nearly everybody bought it, including my dad, so that was a good one. 

I tried a really minor deception on the way to school but then the kids became unhappy and asked me to please stop.  Ian told them he just doesn't listen to anything I say on April first.  A sensitive lot I live with.  Luckily there is Facebook, and I announced a "reverse sale" at the store where today only everything is One Million Dollars.  At least if someone falls for that we can retire.

So be a little cautious today!  And try to forgive those of us who are used to being trustworthy and just want to play a little for once.  You can trust us again tomorrow.

(And, seriously now, there is a duck on your head.)

6 comments:

  1. April Fool's Day also happens to be my brother's birthday, and unfortunately that temptation was far, far too much for people to resist growing up. He got what appeared to be giant gift wrapped boxes- with nothing in them (though usually there would be a real present somewhere else), lipsticks, etc. I think he hates April Fools now. I decided not to let that stop me from calling him at 6:00am to wish him a happy birthday, though. That's what siblings are for!

    There is SO not a duck on my head. I think you have one, though.
    -Lisa K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I say there was a duck on your head? I meant there was a pig in the sink. You should check.

      Delete
  2. Wha...??? A duck??? How'd it get there?!? ;o)

    Lil was ready to prank the day away. Sweet girl! :o) Here's hoping somebody took you up on your Million Dollar sale. :oP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No million dollar sales, but I got a nice compliment on some cookies I made. That works!

      Delete
  3. We had hair brushes hidden (the girls constantly fight over brush use) and then taped to the ceiling. Underwear taped to the ceiling and an enire bookshelf of books stacked under the covers of a bed.

    Ducks? Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, things taped to the ceiling.... May try something like that the next time April Fool's day doesn't fall on a school day. (We are late enough to school every day as it is.)

      Delete