Thursday, July 25, 2013

So Close, and Yet....

This year's BlogHer convention is happening down in Chicago.  I've been waiting for it to be held somewhere accessible for years, but now that it's within driving distance I just can't.  I have a ton of work at the violin store, and it's the week of String Camp at the Conservatory.  Not only am I teaching at String Camp again, but it's the first year one of my own kids is playing in it.

I'm not sure specifically what I would get out of a blogging convention since writing on this blog is not a commercial venture for me.  All I know is there are many bloggers I admire who will be there, and the idea of meeting any of them in real life I think would be wonderful, and it seems like a great environment to find inspiration.

Even though I'm not attending the convention, I will get to drive down on Saturday night to meet a blogger whose writing I have enjoyed for years.  She was kind enough to include me in a group dinner invitation and I'm really looking forward to it.  The funny thing is I'm already worried about meeting so many new people.  Will I talk too much or have nothing to say?  Do I have anything to wear for an evening out with grown-ups or that isn't covered with glue and varnish?  What if people who like me in blog form don't like me in person?  Which all makes me wonder why I think I would survive an actual convention in the first place.  I'd probably be a self-conscious wreck the whole time.

This is definitely one area where I would do well to learn from my daughter.


Aden is good at making friends.  She always has been.  As our firstborn she didn't have built-in playmates right away.  She started looking around longingly at other children in the neighborhood when she was about three.  But she was shy.

Until one day her dad gestured at all the children on the playground and said to her, "But Aden, see all these kids?  They're all friends."  And her blue eyes got wide and she headed out amongst the other children and didn't look back.  We taught her how to introduce herself and ask people if they wanted to play, and we told her if anyone was ever brave enough to approach her with such an offer she should welcome him or her into the game.

Aden's good with people.  She's polite to adults and engaging when she wants to be.  I'm amused when I watch her with kids her own age, the way she speaks with a more playful cadence than I'm used to hearing her use with us.

My hope for Aden when I signed her up for String Camp this summer was that she would come to love playing in an ensemble.  All she's ever experienced on violin is private lessons, which, honestly, is the least fun part of playing violin in my opinion.  It's necessary, but it's all the hard work of making music.  Playing with other people is where the fun comes in.

Aden's hope for String Camp (she told me last night) was that she would make a friend.  And she did.  She was nervous the first day, and unsure that String Camp was a good idea.  But I gave her a handful of change and told her she had full vending machine privileges for the week and that perked her up.  She buys packs of cookies and shares them with other kids during the break between chamber group practice and orchestra rehearsal.  So she's done just fine making friends and by day two was quite happy.

I'm still not certain how much she's gotten out of the actual violin playing part of String Camp, but she told me it's been fun so that's good enough for me.  As long as she has a positive association with playing in groups and isn't afraid to try it again sometime, it was worth it.

Actually, for me it's been worth it just to have her company on the drive to the Conservatory every morning.  And since I'll be playing in the orchestra with the kids for the concert to help out the viola section (there is only one kid playing viola and he can only play so loud to try to balance things out against all the violins) I will get to play with Aden in her first orchestra concert!  I get a little choked up just thinking about it.  Playing in an orchestra with my first baby....  How wonderful is that?

I'm amazed when I look at my kids and see the things they already handle better than I did at their ages.  Not to mention the things they do better than I do now.  When I watch Aden overcome her innate sense of shyness in order to create the kind of experience she'd rather have, I am impressed and often inspired.  

So maybe I would do okay at the BlogHer convention if I ever get to go.  And I need to look at the table full of bloggers on Saturday as just a bunch of friends and dive in and not worry so much.  (And to be safe, maybe see if there is anything good to share in a nearby vending machine.)

16 comments:

  1. You will totally rock it out on Saturday--maybe follow Aden'a lead and bring cookies :) so glad u guys are having fun at camp too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence! Most of the time I think I do okay, but there are days the idea of being social puts me in a panic. I'm one of those odd introverts with good people skills, but I'm still an introvert.

      Delete
  2. Yes, definitely bring cookies to share. I'd befriend anyone offering me a pack of fudge stripes. I'm easy that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm ever lucky enough to meet you in real life a pack of fudge stripes you shall get!

      Delete
  3. Who wrote this? Certainly not the Kory I know! Lol! I've always envied the way you are so out going and easy going around new people, being so introverted myself. You are who you are Kory, if they love you in writing they will love you in person :) We do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just because I CAN do it doesn't mean it's comfortable! But nice to know you think I won't embarrass myself. So much happier at home, though, with my forgiving kids and my weird dog.

      Delete
  4. I feel the same way about the conventions--kind of terrified. Blissdom was in Nashville last year and I could have managed to go but I was too scared.

    Love what your husband said, that all the kids were friends. What a nice, positive way to think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should team up. I think I'd do okay with a buddy so I wouldn't worry about who to sit with at lunch.

      Delete
  5. Hi Korinthia,

    I read your blog often but rarely comment. However, I wanted to tell you that I met Stacey in person (after reading her blog for awhile and realizing we were practically neighbors) and she is the nicest person ever and while I am possibly one of the more nerdy, awkward people in existence, and meeting someone whose writing I admired in real life made me extremely nervous, she made it very pleasant. So, have a great time, I am sure you will have fun. :)

    Also, the cookies thing is genius. I'd also be friends with anyone who had cookies. :)
    -Lisa K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I can't imagine Stacey not being lovely in real life. I just don't want her to come away thinking I'm annoying. But I'm sure it will be fun. I'm excited at this point of the idea of simply getting, you know, OUT.

      Aden's a sweetie. She always shares her treats.

      Delete
  6. Oh my, I am so behind after the trip to Chicago. I hope that you had as much fun at that dinner as I did. It was delightful to meet you; I wish you'd come to the whole convention; and I'm so sorry that you battled such awful traffic to get down to Chicago and join us!

    And now I'm the nervous one because I always wonder if out-going, but slightly awkward me lives up to any actual meeting in person. xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great time. And you're wonderful--even more welcoming and approachable than I would have guessed. Thanks again for including me!

      Delete
  7. I am so glad you came. I am two weeks late but I'm here to say it was truly good to meet you in person. I wish we hadn't been so far away at that table. At the same time, I was in a kind of reclusive mood so I may not have given off how genuinely happy I was to see you there. I'm sorry for that. Hopefully the conference will be someplace near enough for you to come next year, or at least meet in the middle to redo dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind. If I'm ever lucky enough to find myself at a table with you again I will make sure to sit close enough to really talk. Hope you had a great time at the convention.

      Delete
  8. Kory, I've been behind on my blog reading thanks to the demise of google reader, and this post hit home in a good way. My little boy turns two tomorrow, and, oh, the seeing him grow and change and learn...it is all just so rich!

    What a moment, playing onstage with your firstborn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two is such an amazing age because they have equal moments of still seeming like a baby and suddenly seeming so big. Hope he (and you) have an amazing day tomorrow.

      Delete