so many hours creating and finally getting to hear its voice.
I mean, it started like this:
|Spruce, maple, and neck block|
I'm really pleased with it. I spent about half an hour playing it after I got the bridge finished (the first thing I am compelled to play on my new instruments is "Happy Birthday") and it has more power than I was expecting. It's comfortable to play, but when I get it into the new player's hands this weekend I'll find out if there is any further tweaking I need to do to customize it.
It needs to be played in to warm it up, because right now it has that slightly hyper sound of a violin under tension for the first time and it's not sure about the whole idea yet. Despite that, it sounds well balanced and clear, and I know with time it will warm up and the edges of the sound will soften.
In the past few weeks I had one frustrating setback that literally gave me nightmares, but it turned out to be a useful learning moment. After I got the instrument to color I put on the final coat of clear varnish that is used to polish through, but compared to the conditions I originally did all my varnishing in, the combination of AC and sunlight in my shop were problematic. The scroll burst out into the varnish equivalent of a rash and I freaked out.
Speaking of varnish, check out how beautiful it looked after the final polishing when I held it outside at sunset:
Anyway, welcome to the world new violin! I hope you get to play wonderful things.