Saturday, August 31, 2024

Summery Summary


 

This summer has been a lot, and it went by too fast. Time to jot some of it down before it all slips away!

On the travel end of things, it's been a simpler year. No mandolin adventures abroad, no camping trips or visits out west. We managed a trip to our cottage in Michigan for a few days where the highlight was that we finally had both the money and sense to arrange for someone to deep clean it before we got there. We don't have enough time when we visit to both clean it and relax, and the point of going is to relax, so the cleaning was overdue. The maid was wonderful, and even found a new arrangement for the twin size beds upstairs that at first we balked at because it was new (and at the cottage we seldom strive for "new") but after a few moments had to concede was much better.

Cookouts and walks and board games. I think often about how my grandmother used to spend a full month at the cottage every year, and how nice it would be to settle in there like that. Someday. When I'm not as needed to do so many school repairs over summer.

 

 

 

We also had someone come in and update all the electrical stuff, which was another thing that was overdue. Now we can do exciting things like use the microwave for more than 30 seconds at a time without tripping the breaker.

Unfortunately, we may need to budget for a new roof at the cottage as the next big thing. I really don't want to pay for another roof. We had to do that on our first house, the garage for that house, our current house, the violin store building, and my husband's childhood home in Oregon before we could sell it this summer. That's too many roofs! Oh, and selling a house two time zones away? Not fun. But after two years it was time and I'm glad someone will get to enjoy living in that nice little neighborhood.

The other travel we did this summer was all related to the Celebrating Women Luthier's exhibit. I had the two instruments I'd made for two of my kids on display, along the scroll I carved that will go on the third soon. It was a marvelous exhibit that started at Potter Violins in the Washington DC area, and then moved on to Reuning and Son in NYC (down the street from Carnegie Hall), a surprise stop at the Reuning and Son shop in Boston, and finally at Sapp Violins in the Chicago area.

We did a road trip to NYC (with fun stops to stay with family in Ohio each direction), and that was amazing. I don't normally get to include my family in my luthier-world events, but at Reuning and Son I was part of a panel discussion where my mom, husband, kids, brother, and sister in law all got to attend. I loved that. My brother and his wife arranged for us to stay in their next door neighbor's place (which was vacant at just the right time) in Washington Heights, which is always a joy. Prettiest part of Manhattan in my opinion, and we enjoyed walks to Fort Tryon Park and the Cloisters. We ate well mostly because we ate in most nights and my sister in law is an incredible cook. We also ate out at a Turkish restaurant one night that we could bring the dogs to. And not a typical stop on most visitors' trips to NYC, but I was really pleased to get to see my brother's new office at the Child Mind Institute.

In no particular order, here are some New York pictures:

View of the Hudson River on our walk to the Cloisters.

 Kids at the obligatory visit to the Nintendo Store, and at the Cloisters.

 

\


 Dog cousins!

Homemade lime cheesecake with fresh berries at the end of a delicious feast our final night.

 

Insanely intricate miniature carvings on display at the Cloisters. (I own a lot of tools, and I have no idea how I would approach trying to carve something like this.)

 

Aden on the balcony of the room she stayed in.

 

Subway Domino!

  

My brother's apartment is both the doors on the left, and the place we stayed is the door on the right. Interestingly, those two side by side apartments are technically in different buildings. We never take it for granted that we have such a lovely place to stay when we are in New York. Also, Pepper!

 

Outside the new digs for the Child Mind Institute! They have some excellent art inside. Also, Domino the subway dog in a bag!

 

Some of my family and friends at Reuning and Son for my panel talk. Such a pretty space!


Panel selfie!

It worked out very well for me that I crossed paths with a friend heading to DC in time to deliver my instruments to the beginning of the Celebrating Women Luthiers exhibit, and that the last stop was in Batavia IL where I could not only attend the opening, but pick my instruments up at the end of the show. The event at Sapp Violins was incredibly nice. I got to drive in with a fellow luthier, and meet my other brother there and show him around. We arrived early and stayed late and enjoyed every minute of it. Here's even a shot of someone playing one of my instruments, which is always a treat.


Speaking of lutherie... I've been doing my best to make progress on the two violins and viola I've been working on forever. For a plethora of reasons, I'm behind schedule, but my current goal is to maybe have something done in time to enter in this fall's Violin Society of America competition. We'll see.


 

 


The main impediment to my work lately has been pain. 

My right knee started to hurt back in February, and by St Patrick's Day, I ended up in urgent care because I couldn't walk. After x-rays and ultrasounds I still can't tell you what's wrong with it, but they sent me to PT before opting for anything invasive. PT helped, although I honestly am never sure if the main factor for healing is simply time. About a month ago the physical therapist gave my right knee a passing grade and let me go. Now the left knee is failing in the same way. I'm doing the exercises I learned in PT, but it's hard. Some nights the pain keeps me awake. Moving in any way is difficult. You don't realize how much you twist and shift your legs in bed until it hurts every time you do it. 

Chronic pain is demoralizing. It lures your focus from everything you'd rather be doing, and it's boring.

And sitting on any chair where my knees are pitched too high is excruciating. I've been avoiding mandolin rehearsals this summer, partly because after ten minutes in a folding chair my knee feels like it's screaming at me. I may have to bring some kind of cushion when orchestra starts up soon or I don't think I'll get through it.

I have another appointment with the sports doctor soon, and I hope she can help. (Considering how much I have always detested running, the idea that my injury is connected in any way to something like "sports" is very funny to me.) I miss being able to walk without having to think about it.

Fun things this summer!

My kids have really upped their game with Mother's Day breakfast in bed.

I started a little Domino painting on our garage, but I can't finish it until my knees are good enough to get that low again. I don't think the dog approves.

The goofiest non-violin project in my shop is gluing up the oddest snow globe I've ever seen. One of my kids bought it for her little sister last year, and it's inexplicably a seagull standing next to a littler seagull in a snow globe. So I need to put that back together at some point.

Between graduation requirements and participation in the National Honor Society, Quinn needs lots of volunteer hours. We did some of that this summer by signing up every few weeks to make bag lunches for an organization called Street Angels that works with homeless people in our area. She's gotten really good at shopping for, and assembling, 50 lunches at a time.

I think my favorite summer project has been making a cube mosaic display for my violin shop. I have wanted to do that since we opened in 2008, and I finally decided I needed to make it happen rather than think about it. It took me a while to build the box, and then find the right dolly to prop it up, but I'm happy with the result. Although there was a prolonged issue with getting my bulk cubes. I ordered 240 stickerless speed cubes to start, but after playing with some designs, decided it would be worth it to double the number of them to make a more detailed display. I ordered another 240 cubes, but through a mix up, I got sticker cubes. I returned those then had to wait for the stickerless ones to be back in stock. When those arrived, they didn't match the original cubes! I wound up exchanging the original box of cubes for more cubes that would match the newer ones. So that was more complicated and drawn out than I imagined it would be.

Mismatched cubes

480 cubes is a lot of cubes
 

In the end it all worked out, and I love the display. We run photos through a grid generator online that breaks the picture down into pixels a dozen cubes at a time, then I arranged the cube faces and Quinn lines them all up in the box. We've done two pictures so far, and plan to change it up again soon.



The only concert I played this summer was for Juneteenth with the Black Diaspora Symphony Orchestra. It was a powerful program that included pieces I feel lucky to have gotten the opportunity to play. The one I can't stop thinking about is

Dayvin Hallmon conducting rehearsal
Seven Last Words of the Unarmed by Joel Thompson. It's one of those things that is hard to recommend in a way, because it's devastating. But also very beautiful. It was emotional to play and kind of wrecked me a bit more each time we played it. This is an important composition that deserves to be much better known. 

I felt the same way about the music featured in the NYC concert of women composers at the lutherie exhibit. Some of the best music out there remains obscure because it isn't in the standard repertoire. We need to put more music by underrepresented groups front and center for all our benefit.



It's hard to stir the people in our house out of our own quiet projects, but we did go see a drone show downtown. We watched it near the North Point Water Tower. I really liked something akin to a fireworks show without the noise. (Domino does better with fireworks explosions in our neighborhood than Chipper did, but it still bothers her.)

There were several things we expected to do this summer that we either didn't get to or didn't finish, but I was proud of Aden for doing some work with the 3D printer. She made a small dog for a friend that was only a few inches tall, and really cute. One day she will make us a Domino design we can print out. Mona has continued to crank out more and more amazing plushies for her Etsy shop. (Check out the butter cats and the cheese mice!)

The main thing I'm annoyed not to have gotten to by now is my novel. I hired a lovely editor this year to give me notes, and I finally have a direction in mind for when I edit it. I just need actual time to sit down and do it. 

Time has been hard to come by this summer, but thankfully at work my assistant came back again and helped me get dozens of cellos fixed for the school system over the past couple of months. Cello work is particularly hard for me when it hurts to stand. So work has been extra busy, but thanks to my assistant, it didn't kill me.

We were hoping to organize a trip to Six Flags for Quinn and her friends before summer was up, but that required planning on the part of the kids involved, so that was likely doomed from the start. (This generation is impressive in many ways, but planning things is not one of their strong suits.) 

I can't believe school starts next week. Although I appreciate the abandonment of the mid-August calendar this year which got Quinn a longer summer than usual. She's a senior. My last kid in K-12! How did it go by so quickly?

Rufus King High School
 

I'm glad Aden was home this summer. I'm glad Mona is nearby. I'm assuming once Quinn decides on a college that she'll be home next summer before we deliver her to some new campus. But there is no way to know if we'll have another whole summer like this one with all five of us in the same place able to spend time with one another on a daily basis if we wish. I hope so. But I'm not counting on it.

Here's to diving into fall! I'm excited to see what awaits.


No comments:

Post a Comment