I've got it relatively easy this year for Halloween costumes. Partially because I've got the process down by now, and mostly because of my daughters' choices. Aden wants to recycle an older costume, and Mona wants to make most of hers herself. The only costume I was making myself from scratch was Quinn's. Quinn asked to be an iguana.
Last year everyone wanted wings. This year it's all about tails. Iguanas have nice, long tails.
I wanted to try painting the stripes on instead of sewing them like I did with Mona's raccoon tail. I blocked off the sections I wanted to stay green with tape and sprayed the rest with two kinds of black fabric paint, rotating it every few hours and doing a new side. It was more labor intensive than I expected, so I don't know if paint was worth it. Quinn did enjoy helping remove all the tape, though!
And here is the finished costume!
And I'm ahead of schedule! The iguana costume only took me about two days, so that leaves me lots of time to teach Mona how to sew.