Friday, March 7, 2014

Week of Crazy

I've been really hoping to get to my last road trip post, but this week has been too weird.  Ian had to go do Army stuff out of state, and my parents unexpectedly had to push back the day they could come out and help so I had to scramble to figure out school pick-ups and meals and the like. 

It's all been fine.  I'm much better about asking for help than I used to be.  My kids were so young during the first deployment, and we were so new to the neighborhood, that we really didn't know other parents yet.  I've always had kind neighbors, but it's hard feeling like a burden.  Now I'm not too proud to put out a distress call and say, "Who can grab my kids from school and bring them to me at the violin store?  Who can drive them home from choir while I'm at rehearsal?  Who wants to help?" 

And people want to help.  Which shouldn't surprise me because I like to help.  I don't know why it seems so wrong to give others the chance to do something for me that I wouldn't mind doing for them.  In any case, I'm grateful to everyone who pitched in to keep our lives running along with Ian absent.  Looking forward to having him home soon.

But now I have to get moving again.  More later.  In the meantime, in honor of Ian's Army stuff here is a Mold-A-Rama tank sent to us by a generous reader:


Happy Daylight Savings Nonsense!

10 comments:

  1. Sorry about your week of crazy!! I'm glad you're better at asking for help. I am still not very good at that.

    I shall eagerly await remaining vacation posts.
    -Lisa K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to ask for help is a good skill. Something worth working at.

      Last vacation post will be fun to write!

      Delete
  2. Oh, no, it's not clock-changing time again, is it? I could weep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I hate it! Why do we mess with the damn clocks? It possibly helps people somewhere for about two weeks and then the days keep changing length anyway so what good is it? Dumb.

      Delete
    2. Actually, you know what it is? A literal waste of time.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! I'm so sorry. When you're a two-parent household it's hard to go to one. My sister's husband travels all during the week so she's used to making it all work on her own and she makes fun of me when I'm grumpy and frustrated when B goes TDY.

    I had a miserable time asking for help when I broke my ankle. But, as you say, I'm always willing to help out, so I know others want to help as well. Now I ask. It's better all around.

    The tank? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot. Dammit it, I don't WANT to change my clock. UGH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much easier than it was when I couldn't leave my kids alone. That second deployment when the girls were in school but Quinn was glued to my side day and night made running a business so hard! Our hours on the door said, "By Appointment Or Chance" for a year. I'm amazed we survived it. Now at least Aden is old enough to watch her siblings and they can cook for themselves and walk the dog. Still, so much easier to juggle everything with a partner.

      Delete
  5. People really do want to help. I know I do! The clock thing though, I don't want to even think about. Hope things settle down a little, although they never seem to here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel like the "things settling down" point is just over the horizon. As if it will come! But it doesn't. I remain hopeful, though. (Or delusional?)

      Delete