Monday, October 8, 2012

Costumed Quinn

We started Halloween costumes earlier than usual this year because I have so much going on this month I didn't want to get overly stressed about them.  Luckily the kids were able to narrow down what they wanted to be a couple of weeks ago when we were at the fabric store and I was able to pick up all the material we needed.  This weekend I got started!

And I have to say, after sewing three costumes a year for the past several years, I am getting quicker at it.  Normally I trace the kids onto the fabric and then pin everything together after cutting it all out to test the fit, but this year I traced, cut, and went straight to the sewing machine, and so far so good.

The first costume is done and it only took me two evenings.  Behold, Quinn the skunk:



I honestly have no idea why he decided to be a skunk, but he looks adorable so I'm happy with it.










This was much quicker than last year's thirteen-lined-ground-squirrel: 
(A friend told me the other day that they were actually able to identify a thirteen-lined-ground-squirrel in the wild this summer based on their recollection of Quinn's costume, so that made me feel pretty good, above and beyond the fact that my kid liked it.)
And way way way less complicated to figure out than the bluejay the year before:


That bluejay costume was my favorite.  And he still wears it, even though the bottoms of the legs are at his knees now.  My kids wear their costumes over and over all year long, so it's worth the effort to make them.  Plus it's the only sewing I ever really do, and it's fun.






Next up:  Mona the raccoon.

6 comments:

  1. I was so excited when this showed up on my news feed. Now that you aren't at babble, I don't even bother to hang out there. I LOVE the blue jay too! So glad you guys have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, I LOVE skunks! And that is a kick-a$$ costume, Korinthia! I am so impressed. Quinn's going to be the happiest trick-or-treater out there. Well done! I cannot wait to see the raccoon costume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just wondering what costumes you were making this year (I always loved seeing what you made on Babble). Cutest skunk I've ever seen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this! What a fun costume! Well done! :o)

    My Grammy always made costumes for Jessie and me, and I miss having those homemade costumes. I'm crafty with paper, but put me in front of a sewing machine and I freeze. :sigh: Oh well. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. I'm another one who doesn't bother with Babble now you aren't there! Saves a lot of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following me over from Babble! I really like my new little blog and I appreciate your reading it.

      Delete