Thursday, May 24, 2012

Done!

Welcome to the world new violin!

Thanks again to everyone for their input about the fittings.  I think the rosewood looks nice.  (I'll save the boxwood set I bought for a different violin.)

The instrument sounds pretty good, if I do say so myself.  It sounds really really new, but balanced and clear.  It's exciting stringing up an instrument for the first time, but also somewhat funny.  You can kind of feel it freaking out under all that tension, like it's been hanging around in this relaxed state for all of its existence and all of a sudden ohmygodohmygodohMYGODwhatisHAPPENING.  So new violins sound unsure and a bit startled the first day.  Then you play them in and they settle down.

This violin is playing in quickly and well.  It's comfortable, which is good, although I still may make the neck a little thinner.  (After I have some other people play it and get some feedback I'll come to a decision about that.)  The VSA competition isn't until November so I have months to play it a lot and tweak anything I need to tweak to make it better before judging, so that should help.

It's sister violin is about ready to set up, but the client I built it for wanted a very dark color, so it's still essentially wet.  It's dry to the touch, but if you pressed something into it hard it would pick up an imprint, so that one needs to sit a little longer before I can hear it.

So I'm done!  Done.  Hm.

(Now what?)

10 comments:

  1. Your description of a newly strung violin reminds me of the feeling of wearing a bra for the first time. Made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgreous! Your skills are apparent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now what? Start writing a parenting book, I'd say...

    I never left a comment on this post, but my husband & I have been chuckling over 'any questions or compliments' for weeks. Absolutely brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only kids I know how to parent are my own, and currently only up to age ten and a half. I'm having enough trouble trying to convince an agent I'm salable without narrowing my audience down to just my household. (But thanks for the compliment!)

      And Mona cracks me up. Most of what she says is hard to quote, but that one works for so many occasions!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Kory! I am very excited for you and curious as to what the judges will say in November. I think your approach to make an instrument that has no unique flourishes is a wise one, in order to obtain criticisms associated with basic features-- rather than risking biases against individual creative choices you've made. It's daring and important for you to face the judges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barrett! Judges scare me but I think it's something I've got to do. If you're up for a road trip to Cleveland in November let me know!

      Delete
  5. I love the color of this violin. I still love the smell of walking into a violin makers shop. I really need to start playing again. Good luck in the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beeeeaaauuuutttiiiiiiiiifulll. (Seems like Mona used to say that...) :) You and yours have more talent in your pinky fingers than I have in my whole being~ I can't wait to see what comes next.

    ReplyDelete